Monday, January 25, 2016

Whole30: Week 2

Blizzard. Brownies. Bread.

Those were my challenges this past week. Here's the thing -- whenever it snows, I want to bake. I feel obligated to bake. It's somehow in my blood, my DNA, to bake during a snowstorm. And I did. I made brownies and bread. BUT I DID NOT EAT ANY OF IT.

I'll hold for applause. :-)

The second week of my Whole30 was pretty good. My snacks were smaller, I slept REALLY well, and I had lots of energy throughout the day. The cravings were pretty intense at times, though. (But I'm going to blame that on being trapped in the house while the aroma of ooey gooey brownies wafted through the air.) I also had mild intestinal discomfort and bloating, which I think is common for this point in the process. My gut is healing and clearing out! (Too much info?  Sorry...) :-)

This week, I relied heavily on leftovers for my meals. It works out great for me (since I LOVE leftovers), but if you're not into reheated foods, I can see how that would be annoying. I made a GIANT batch of paleo pork fireballs last Sunday and have been eating them throughout the week. While they are super tasty (especially when dipped in coconut aminos, which is basically soy-free soy sauce), I'm totally over them now. Not sure if I can stomach another one ever, but there are still a few left in the fridge...

Another thing I tried this week was to make my own crispy apple chips. After paying way too much for a bag of Bare Apple Chips, I thought, "Certainly I can make these myself." Turns out, I can't. I tried. I failed. :-)  They look a bit like potpourri, yes?



I also gashed my thumb royally on the mandoline slicer while making these things. Oh my word, so. much. blood. BUT I think I might try this again. They have the potential to be good... just need to figure out the correct temperature for the oven and the length of time to cook them.

Anyway, here was my menu for the week!

DAY 8
breakfast: homemade chicken apple sausage, fried egg, and a clementine
lunch: paleo pork fireballs and a salad with blueberries and pecans (picture of pork fireballs on Day 12)
snack: 2 dates and a responsible handful of almonds :-)
dinner: spaghetti squash and meatballs with roasted broccoli


DAY 9
breakfast: homemade chicken apple sausage, fried egg, and a clementine
lunch: leftover spaghetti squash and meatballs with roasted broccoli
snack: a few almonds, a clementine, and strawberries
dinner: roasted peppers, potatoes, and mushrooms with adeile's chicken sausage (kind of based off of this recipe, but not exactly)



DAY 10
breakfast: leftover london broil and onions sauteed with balsamic vinegar
lunch: leftover roasted veggies and sausage
snack: a few almonds and a clementine
dinner: slow cooker chicken soup, dried apples, and dried mango


DAY 11
breakfast: paleo pork fireballs and a clementine
lunch: leftover chicken soup, blueberries, and strawberries
snack: dried apples and dried mango
dinner: kale and sweet potato hash with eggs

 
DAY 12
breakfast: leftover kale and sweet potato hash with a fried egg
lunch: paleo pork fireballs and leftover kale and sweet potato hash
snack: Larabar, blueberries, and strawberries
dinner: paleo pork fireballs with coconut aminos and green beans


DAY 13
breakfast: sweet potato and sausage breakfast casserole (I couldn't find any pre-made Whole30-compliant sausage, so I made my own following this recipe, but omitting the maple syrup.)
lunch: paleo pork fireballs and kale salad
snack: almonds and dates
dinner: whole30 shepherd's pie (I used ground turkey instead of beef, and it was still amazing!)



 DAY 14
breakfast: sweet potato and sausage breakfast casserole
lunch: leftover shepherd's pie and clementines
snack: almonds and dates
dinner: paleo pork fireballs again and green beans (This meal is the result of a TOTAL flop in my original plan, which was a coffee-rubbed roast beef in the crock pot. It was gross. Nearly uneatable.)


No comments:

Post a Comment